Friday, October 11, 2013

Woah, What a Week!


Hola Familia!
K ive got lots written down to talk about so Imma just dive in and go point by point haha. First of all, General Conference was UNREAL!! wow. I cant even explain how special that was. Ive never felt so directly talked to while watching conference haha. The spirit was especially powerful this whole weekend and it really got me pumped. Maybe pumped isnt the right word but it works haha. President Uchtdorf, Elder Bednar and Elder Dube had some great talks, I especially liked theirs on Saturday morning: "Its not where you serve, but how" "Look ahead and believe" (I loved that he spoke about members being missionaries. That was kind of a theme during conference and is really exciting for us in the field!). President Uchtdorfs talk was just so inspiring and I loved that he just said it how it is. "doubt your doubts before doubting your faith". I loved that Elder Bednar talked about the widows mite! And I liked how mama explained that his talks are so deep and profound, but so simple. Oh, did anyone see the World Report about the Mexico MTC?! I wasnt in it or anything haha but I was hoping you could see this place a little better and get a taste of how beautiful it is. Saturday afternoon, Elder Christoffersons talk was so so good! K is Elder Nielson one who announces at BYU football games? I swear I knew that voice. Ive been to enough football games I should know haha.So Elder Hollands talk- That morning we were in a workshop and Hermana Fisi and I sat with two other sisters we really love and one of them talked about why people have mental illnesses and handicaps on earth. It was SO cool to hear Elder Holland address that right after we had discussed it. And When Elder Ballard said he had been in Europe I was just waiting for him to say something about Spain haha. I liked how he talked about opening your mouth and talking to as many people as you can and what a priviledge it is to be anxiously engaged in the Lords work- TRUE. Oh Saturday night we got to see the Relief Society session while the Elders went to priesthood. First of all, the songs were stunning! Second of all, I loved that Sister Reeves talked about the Provo tabernacle becoming a temple!!! I had just been telling my roommates how beautiful it would be and that I was getting married there (hehe, only mentioned the second part) but her analogy of The Lord "letting us burn some because he has plans to build temples where he might dwell" was really cool! Sunday morning session: Elder Oaks killed it!! That was a way powerful talk. I felt like lots of talks this conference were about enduring, having faith, and members being missionaries. President Monsons thoughts about his wife were super sweet. I hope to be like her. I also loved the poem about "stronger storms making stronger trees
Oops.. sent that on accident. I aint done... "Stonger stroms making stronger trees". Haha quick story about lunch on Sunday.. Hermana Fisi and I got our food and then were in like for the fruit, rice, etc. We were behind Presidente Pratt and we saw that he put salsa on his fish. I leaned to hermana Fisi and said, "Oh, imma follow whatever he does, cause I bet he knows how to make it good". Long story short, the salsa was probably the hottest Ive ever had and our lips were both tingling for a while after. I still ate the whole fish cause I wanted to not be a pansy haha. Luckily my stomach held it like a champ.. My mouth on the other hand took a lil while to feel normal hahaha. Lesson: Dont follow a natives ways. Sunday afternoon session: Called To Serve, baby! I love that song! And Elder Nelsons talk was really strengthening and awesome! And finally, Abide With Me Tis Even Tide.... I love that song so much!! Man, conference was just amazing. Oh, and tell Grammy thanks a million for all the treats.. My district died over them and I loved the milk duds and resses peanut butter cups! I swear I shared them, haha. No one liked the chocolate twizzlers but me though, so I got most of those by myself :) haha. Again, I didnt have a lot. Sunday night we watched The Testaments and I think everyone in the room was sniffling and crying at the end! It was really sweet to see so many of the elders crying! To say the least, this weekend was a spiritual FEAST! K now with my week.. Tuesday night we had a devotional (video from the Provo MTC) by Elder Holland!! man, is he powerful or what?! He talked about how much is expected of us but how the authorities arent sorry. "grab your socks and pull them to your armpits!" he talked about the weight on our shoulders and that we have an obligation to give it our all. he talked about NEVER going back to what we were before and to keep growing. he talked about the need to know the scriptures better and I was sweatin a lil bit when he called some peopl eout of the audience and totally drilled them haha. it was actually pretty comical. And he talked about the importance of the Holy Ghost. It was a motivational devotional for sure. Oh, during TRC last we were taught by some 3rd week sisters. During the lesson one of them got so flustered and nervous about the spanish that she started tearing up and just sat there. After the lesson we gave them big hugs and explained that they didnt need to worry about the language (who am I to tell them, Ive only been here 5 weeks..) and it was crazy to realize how far Ive come since even my 3rd week! Then TRC last night we taught a teacher who was on his phone and just being super difficult haha. Its good to practice these things for when Im in  the field.. One of the nights last week Hermana Child had natives come in and we taught 2 on 1 for three lessons. The first 2 lessons just didnt go well, we were struggling but the natives were nice about the spanish and everything. So Hermana Fisi and I said a prayer before the last one. We both felt our teaching was going better until he started correcting every word and phrase that came out of my mouth... The spirit was no longer there and Hermana Fisi and I just didnt even know how to respond. After the lesson we did an evaluation and I asked how we could do better. He straight up told us our spanish was awful and that we needed to work harder. That was a slight slap in the face, but a good experience to help motivate us to work harder and to know that thats how el campo will be. Yesterday our district had an english fast! It was actually kinda fun and interesting to see how well we could hold a conversation (that is, until we talked to natives.. they humble me every day haha). It was slightly frusterating every once in a while, but definitely a good experience. Oh, Flor (Hermana Child) is being baptized!! She was pretty difficult to teach, cause she knew it was true and the spirit was always so strong, but she just wouldnt accept it. I absolutely love Hermana Child. i know I said that last week, but seriously, shes an amazing teacher! I wish I could express my love for this experience and how much its changed me, but there arent even words! Its just truly amazing though, I wouldnt rather be anywhere else. K on family news: Dave, Im sorry bout your knee!! Thats what you get for being so darn athletic I guess. I sure hope its not serious! Sophie Bee is walking!? almost... Im not suprised. Also waving and tilting her head. She sounds like shes growing way too fast without her auntie Meg!! Liz and Park- I hopw yall are doing great in Idaho!! I miss you tons and would love to hear from you and get some pictures! And now to the whole fam wherever you may be- I love you all and pray for you all the time! I hope yall are safe and happy! Miss yuh tons. Talk to yuh next week.
 
Love, Hermana Jackson
 
PS Mama and Papa, I can call in the Airport on the 21st. I wanna maybe set it up so I can talk to you for a bit. I could maybe even call the house and you guys could be on facetime or something along with the Kemps..? I dunno, but Id love a call.
 
PS Chels, Im now wondering if I would like a necklace from downeast since I have that card. Would you wanna look for me and find a fun one?
 
PS Mama, I get compliments on my shoulder bag just about every day. I love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment